Aftaab ko Chiraag Dikhana, Aqal ka dushman, Arzoo Khak mein Mil jana, Asam se gira khajur mein atka, choli daman ka saath, Chota munh badi baat, Der aye durust aye, Dhobi ka kutta na ghar ka na ghat ka, Doodh ka Jala chachh bhi phunk phunk kar pita hai, Eid ka chand hona
Proverbs give an interesting insight into the cultural references of a language. Given Below are some interesting proverbs in Urdu with they meaning in English.
1. Aftaab ko Chiraag Dikhana – to Hold a candle to the sun
2. Arzoo Khak mein Mil jana – Hope to become ashes – to be disappointed
3. Asam se gira khajur mein atka – from the frying pan to the fire
4. Aqal ka dushman – a fool
5. Chota munh badi baat – big words from a small mouth
6. Choli daman ka saath hona – to be in very good terms
7.Der aye durust aye – Better late than never
8. Doodh ka Jala chachh bhi phunk phunk kar pita hai – Experience is the best teacher.
9. Dhobi ka kutta na ghar ka na ghat ka – a dog who runs behind two bones catches neither
10.Eid ka chand hona – to be seen very rarely.
Please share your favorite proverbs with us. We have many more to share with you in our following posts